Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Airport Security - An Inspiring Experience

Allison and I were in line at airport security. There was a group of over 20 kids in front of us with 3 chaperones escorting the group. The kids were all going to Camp Soaring Eagle. Allison and I were loving and laughing at the chaos. One of the ladies apologized to us. It was not a problem. We were having fun watching the group. Others behind us kept complaining and moving to another line. The kids were given specific instructions by their chaperones as to what liquids are and what they should do with them. Unfortunately the chaperones misinformed them. They were unpacking and repacking. They must have thrown away a dozen bottles of sunblock.

There was so much chaos that it took at least five TSA agent telling and directing the group as to what needed to go through the scanner. One agent, as he stood next to a young girl wearing a black sweat jacket, very loudly said "All jackets must be removed and put throught the scanner, including black sweat jackets!" The girl was so excited to be going to camp, she didn't hear him. The chaperone at the end of the line (in front of us) heard him and moved to the front to have her remove the jacket. We laughed at the event. The whole group was a joy to watch.

About 30 minutes later while I was being screened by a TSA agent, all the kids were staring at my foot with beads showing, questioning what happened. One chaperone asked me what happened and I explained that I broke my foot. I was afraid to tell her it was due to a scooter for fear she would give the kids an example of why not to buy a motorcycle. As Allison and I walked past them, we could hear them talking about my foot and the "things on his toes."

When Allison and I got to the gate, we looked up the camp on the internet. The camp is designated for children with terminally ill and life threatening diseases. Seeing the kids so happy to go where they were going, without any cares, was inspiring to see. These camps and groups do so much for special needs children. Sometimes more than they know.

I wonder if all the people behind us that complained and moved lines knew who and what the kids were doing, would their attitudes be the same or different. It goes to show that patience and understanding goes a long way. You never know who's in front of you.

As we have been writing this, we keep laughing with joy at the group of kids and how excited we are for them. The opportunity they have to get away from their everyday lives and the constant reminder of their illnesses and the potential outcome, is something that every child with a disabilty or illness should experience. We are excited for them and wish them the best of times.

No comments: