Thursday, May 14, 2009

Girl Scout Friendship Quilt

We made a quilt to serve as an emergency blanket in our first aid kit. The Daisies stenciled handprints and stars for the border, then each decorated her own block. They each got a turn at running the sewing machine with me to sew the blocks together at the meeting. One of them thought it was SO cool. She told me she wished her mom had a machine that would sew things together too. And I wondered to myself, is sewing really that old-fashioned? Anyway, some of the Brownies did a block too if they had time after their activity. I've had the blocks and border here at home for several weeks and finally sat down and put it all together last night. It's tied with pink yarn. It turned out pretty nice and I think the girls will be proud to see their artwork displayed in a quilt.
I've been preparing for our awards ceremony which will be on Saturday. Earlier the past couple weeks, I got the rainbow cakes ordered, got the giftbags, plates, napkins, forks in rainbow colors, planned the food and got the certificates purchased. Yesterday, I received the cookie incentive prizes. Yeah!! I was really worried we wouldn't have the prizes to give at the ceremony. I am so glad they came in in time for it! Today, I picked up the rest of the patches and pins, and vests for girls moving to the next level. I've got everything divided up. I'm working on the program to print out and some scrapbook pages to give to the girls. We (meaning Ben) still need to finish the rainbow bridge. Here's a funny thing - my co-leader (I have two, but you know who you are) volunteered her husband to write out the certificates in nice calligraphy. When I called to talk to him about bringing the certificates over, he was a bit surprised. He didn't know about it. But you husbands all know that we wives will volunteer you in an instant and forget to tell you! Anyway, he let me know that, yes he owns a calligraphy pen, but no he does not write in calligraphy. He got it for another reason for writing Arabic characters. That made me laugh! So I guess the certificates will be in my own handwriting which isn't too bad, just not near as cool as calligraphy!




1 comment:

Trina said...

I love the quilt! Sounds like you had a blast this year with your troop. I really enjoyed being a co-leader for our troop this year and hope to find a good troop for both of the girls when we move to Maryland. It can be a great program with the right leaders.