Wednesday, November 19, 2008

While Garrett was sick, we refilled the prescription he takes for help with sleeping. It just came out in generic form and I didn't think much of it. But after he was better, and about 7 or 8 days after starting the generic medication, he started being very aggressive and even violent at school. Almost daily, he is having an episode of hitting, kicking, biting or spitting. This behavior is unpredictable and comes out of nowhere. There is no trigger that the teachers can pinpoint. It's happening at home too, but we just separate him from everyone until he settles down, which can be quite a long time of yelling and hitting walls. After he is calmed down, it is as if nothing happened and he is fine. We saw the doctor and got back on the name brand meds and hoped that would solve the problem. It's been about two weeks now and we've seen no improvement. Just today, he shoved another student and knocked him on the floor. We don't know what to do. It's very heartbreaking. I am horrified that he is hurting other people. I don't think he understands what he is doing to them. We've read on the internet of autistic children going through puberty having aggressive behavior like this, but there are no suggestions or solutions. We have a meeting with the teachers this week to make a behavior intervention plan for him.

2 comments:

Trina said...

I was thinking about emailing you, since it's been awhile for a post. I'm so sorry to hear about the aggressive behavior Garrett is having. I hope you all (doctors, teachers and parents) can figure something out for him. How are the girls doing?

HCJ said...

Hey there I am glad you found time to catch us up. I know it must be hard to be going through this right now but I think the intervention will be a good thing. This way everyone is on the same page with treating it and he doesn't get conflicting reactions. Keep us updated about the family and how things are going. :)