Monday, October 20, 2008

Garrett's been sick

Last weekend, Garrett had a low grade fever, but seemed all right on Monday. We gave him some Tylenol Cold to help with any congestion. Tuesday, Ben got a call and picked him up from school because he was was telling the nurse and teacher there were frogs and crickets on him. The day only proceeded to get worse at home with hallucinations. Garrett was completely convinced that bugs and frogs were crawling on him and biting him. He was jumpey, shakey and jittery. It brought back some not so fun memories of mine from working at the ER in Albuquerque when drug addicts were brought in who were going through withdrawals. All the doctors could do was strap them down so they wouldn't hurt anyone including themselves. I talked to our doctor here and explained what was going on and we came to the conclusion that the stuff for the congestion had interacted with Garrett's regular medication and caused him these delusions and hallucinations. It was not life threatening and he didn't need to be brought in. Just given lots of fluids to help get both flushed out of his system. I am so thankful that we did not need to take him to the hospital, but could care for him at home and not have him restrained. So Ben and I took turns for a couple days dealing with Garrett's hysteria and making sure he didn't do anything to hurt himself while trying to get the imagined bugs off. We can sit and laugh about it now, but man, watching Garrett go through all that was really heartbreaking especially knowing that he really didn't understand what was happening to him. After that, he had two more days of lethargy and just being out of it. He was physically and emotionally exhausted and very weak. Just staring and not moving. But he wouldn't sleep, just sit or lay there with his eyes wide open, just staring and looking around. We had to guide him through each step of any thing he needed to do like picking up the spoon, putting it in the cereal, etc. etc. When he finally found sleep, he slept for 16 hours! Thankfully, he's doing much better now and is pretty much back to normal. He went back to school today and did okay except for some trouble transitioning from one class to another. He still seems more emotional than usual and gets upset more quickly. I'm hoping that will subside with time. It's been a trying time for all of us. We're glad to have our regular Garrett back.

5 comments:

Bringhurst Family said...

Wow glad he's heading back to his self.

HCJ said...

Wow, now that does bring back memories for me as well. I think both Shal and I had hallucinations when we got really sick. I remember shal was so sick one time and she woke up asking when we were going camping. Mom tried to tell her that we didn't have plans to go camping but she could not get it out of her head... she was convinced that we were going camping.

Mari once took some cough medicine that left her thinking someone was after her (she could not explain who it was). She eventually made a full recovery, when the meds cleared her system, as did the rest of us who went through something similar.

I mixed some cold and flu medicine once and kept seeing a floating purple 7. It was crazy! It took a few days for me to get back to feeling normal. I don't see it anymore!!!! Glad for that!

I thought it might help you to know that it happens to a lot of people. Though I am sure that thinking bugs are on you is a lot more traumatic than thinking your going camping and finding out your not. :)

I am glad he has made it through this (as well as the two of you) and is starting to feel better now.
You are such good parents!

Trina said...

Wow, that's pretty sad. I'm glad he's feeling better and you didn't have to take him into the hospital. That must have been challenging to deal with for both parents and Garrett. Glad he's doing better.

Camille said...

I enjoy reading your blog and I wanted to let you know that I have set my blog to private. Please send me your e-mail address so I can send you an invite to my blog. My e-mail: camivanilla@msn.com

BrianG said...

I had hallucinations of ants crawling all over me when I was sick on my mission. I realized that no one else could see them and spent two days wishing for them to go away.

Not fun.

Glad to see he is better.