Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Garrett and lunch

So the second half of last school year, we went on this gluten-free dairy-free diet. Our whole family tried it to see how it might help Garrett. We all took sack lunches and all that. Garrett really liked having a lunch box. So over the summer we've gotten off the diet which is okay because we didn't find very much of a change or benefit from it. Garrett did not want to have school lunch this new year, he wanted his lunch box at school. That was fine, so we packed his lunch. First day, the lunch box came home empty. But then his milk carton and juice box were coming back home unopened. I thought maybe there wasn't a fridge to keep them cold and he didn't want to drink them, so we put in a blue ice thing to keep stuff cold. Still, unopened cartons came home. I wrote a note to the teacher who wrote back that he refused to open them, in fact, he threw them in the trash the first day. (Which is why they didn't come home.) So I put a water bottle in place of the milk and apparently he drank it because the lunch box came home empty. I went in to the school yesterday to put some money on the lunch account and talk to the teacher about him trying school lunch again. Garrett is the only one in his class who brings lunch in from home. I really hate for him not to drink milk at lunch. Water's okay, but he does need the calcium from somewhere. Anyway, it was quite funny to hear about his reaction on Tuesday and yesterday when he opened his lunch box and found a water bottle. He was really upset and cried for his milk box! His teacher explained that he didn't drink the milk so that's why there was none. He drank all the water and proceeded to eat his lunch. His teacher and I talked about him possibly eating school lunch. She felt it would be best to pack the lunch box and give him the option of eating home lunch or school lunch. That way if he didn't want the school lunch, at least he could have a choice. I'm interested to see what he picked today . . .

No comments: